News and Events
Voyageur Council ScoutCon
A.Y. Jackson Secondary School, 150 Abbeyhill Dr., Kanata
03/04/2017 - 8:30am - 4:00pm
March 4th is the date of the next annual Voyageur Council ScoutCon!
Location: A.Y. Jackson Secondary School, 150 Abbeyhill Dr, Kanata, ON
Date: Saturday, March 4, 2017 from 8:30am to 4:00pm
Cost: $15 (includes lunch)
What Is It All About?
This is a conference for all Scouters (including Senior Youth) in Voyageur Council. This an opportunity to get together with others in Voyageur Council and connect with the right resources and people to get your burning questions answered about the Canadian Path for your youth, about your development and training, and about the greater community of Scouting in Voyageur Council!
There will be a program of workshops on all kinds of topics, led by passionate Scouters eager to inspire you to add to your program. You have to register in advance because all sessions have a capacity limited to the seats available in a typical high school classroom (about 25). Lunch will be provided by the Ope Company and Crew, and the cost for lunch is included in the conference fee -- also included in the fee is a souvenir crest (you know you have the perfect spot for it on your blanket!).
What Sessions Will There Be?
Just a few examples include:
- For brand new Scouters who are trying to complete the entry process, a Compliance clinic to help you get Active and on the floor.
- For Scouters who have only completed Wood Badge 1 by e-learning, we have a “Practical Scouter” series to clarify and expand on many essential topics -- best of all, your attendance will be recognized with one of those Section pins you may have seen our Scouters wearing.
- Questions about how to facilitate the Canadian Path with your youth this year? We have forums for that.
- Want to learn about the Outdoor Adventure Skills and what resources are available to you? We have a session for that.
- Need tips on Scouting skills like lightweight camping, lightweight cooking, running an archery activity, safely, knots, first aid kits, getting that old Coleman running properly, or map and compass? We have it covered.
- Senior Youth are welcome to attend all sessions, but they can also register for the FOCUS leadership program, which is a handy bit of training for anyone looking to expand their ability to serve in their Area, Council, or even at a National event like CJ '17. Please note that FOCUS course has a Friday component at Scouts HQ (more details on the registration form).
If you have or need new ideas of making your program more FUN, we have the FUN people to share with!
That Sounds Awesome! What Do I Need to Do to Register?
If you are a participant (sessions), you need to choose which sessions you'd like to take, complete the registration, and submit the fee to the Council office to ensure your choices are locked in (all available through the Registration button below). Please note that sessions will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis and that your schedule will be emailed to you at the email address used to register prior to ScoutCon.
If you are a participant (FOCUS), you will need to complete the registration (including acknowledging that you have read the information about the Friday component) and submit the fee to the Council office.
If you are a Trainer, you need to choose which sessions you'd like to take in your down time and complete the registration to ensure your choices are locked in (all available through the Registration button below).
If you are an Exhibitor, and you plan not to attend any sessions, you do not need to register.
Registration closes one week before the event, February 25, 2017.