Assistant Deputy Council Commissioner -- Events
Assistant Deputy Council Commissioner -- Events
Accountable to: Voyageur Council Deputy Council Commissioner -- Marketing and Communications.
Term: Appointed annually by the Deputy Council Commissioner of Marketing and Communications. The ADCC shall not hold this position for more than three (3) renewable terms consecutively, each term being for one year as per By-Law, Policies and Procedures.
Time required: 10-15 hours per month (on average), potential of 3 to 4 weekends per year.
Scope of the position: The mandate of the ADCC Events includes working with Council-level volunteers and staff to ensure Council events (including community outreach events) occur and that events involve key stakeholders from all relevant groups within the Council while actively achieving Scouts Canada’s 5 Priorities. The ADCC Events is also mandated to coordinate resource management in relation to Council events, possibly including registrations, budgets, logistics, metric reporting, and tracking.
In order to be successful, the ADCC Events needs to be deeply committed to positively promoting Scouting and ensuring that volunteers, staff, and youth are supported in planning, running, and reporting on Council events not associated with the DCC Program’s events portfolio (which includes Council camps).
- Actively participate as a member of the Council Marketing and Communications team;
- Improve awareness and understanding of Council events within and outside of the Council and Scouting, including providing appropriate resources to potential Event Leads and other key stakeholders;
- Ensure that all Council event volunteers receive the support necessary to perform their roles
- Provide direct support to Teams, Groups, and Areas with the aim of achieving event objectives, especially through providing appropriate resources or suggestions (physical, personnel, administrative, etc.);
- Facilitate Council event registration in coordination with the DCC MarComm;
- Work with Event Coordinators to develop marketing materials and strategies, in consultation with the MarComm team, to establish and promote events;
- Ensure compliance at events with all Scouts Canada’s Bylaws, Policies and Procedures;
- Assist Event Teams in developing and submitting budgets for each Council event, including ensuring final reports are submitted in a timely manner;
- Ensure metric tracking and reporting methods are in place for each Council event, so as to assist with event success determinations (not necessarily correlated to monetary or personnel gains); and
- Determine which event help achieve Scouts Canada’s 5 Priorities and prioritize high-impact events.
In order for Council events in Voyageur Council to be as impactful as possible, the ADCC Events will be accountable for communication with a variety of key stakeholders, as described below.
- Communicates on a regular and timely basis with the Council MarComm team, the Council Leadership Team, and other Council stakeholders in regards to progress reports and difficulties encountered;
- Ensures that annual events are established and maintained, including but not limited to: Scout Trees, Good Turn Week, and Voyageur Council’s exhibitor presence at the Ottawa Outdoor Show;
- Liaise with the Council MarComm team and the DCC MarComm in developing marketing materials and strategies to establish new and support existing events;
- Provide timely information in relation to resource requests for Council events. Marketing and Promotions;
- Promote Area, Council, and National event information as appropriate in consultation with the Council MarComm Team to Scouting and non-Scouting personnel, including community groups;
- Assist Event Coordinators to create, produce, and distribute relevant marketing materials (physical or digital), with assistance from the DCC MarComm and ADCC Social Media;
- Maintain and develop networks and connections with local community groups;
- Resource Management and Personnel Support (In conjunction with Event and Council MarComm Teams:)
- Coordinate resources (physical, personnel, administrative, etc.) and logistics for Council events as requested by Council-level volunteers or Council Event Teams;
- Assist Council Event Teams and event volunteers (including Council staff) in all stages of event planning, including possible event attendance (not expected but may be requested);
- Actively engage youth and volunteers from across the Council, paying special attention to recruiting and involving members from diverse Groups and Areas; and
- Collaborates with the Council Leadership Team to ensure all events are in compliance with Scouts Canada’s By-Laws, Policies, and Procedures as well as Program and Safety Standards.
The ideal candidate will have, or will be willing to learn or attain:
- Excellent communication skills in English, with French bilingualism as an asset;
- A proven ability to inspire confidence, team building, and leadership in others;
- A keen desire to help drive membership growth and retention, as well as positive community relationships;
- Demonstrable leadership, management, facilitation, delegation, and decision-making skills;
- Effective interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate and guide others;
- Demonstrable commitment to social inclusiveness and positive image positioning;
- Knowledge of volunteer and youth demographics and resources available across the Council (including physical, personnel, administrative, and opportunities);
- A strong commitment to the principle aims of Scouts Canada’s Safety programs;
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of SC’s Volunteer Support Strategy and recognition programs;
- Demonstrable commitment to Scouting Mission, Principles, and Practices through personal development and sound management practices;
- Openness towards undertaking further personal development related to the role of ADCC; and
- A comprehensive understanding and appreciation for the role of youth volunteers and youth leaders in planning and engaging with Council events.
If this sounds like a position you may be interested in, please submit your CV and a cover letter to:
Nicolas DesRoches, Deputy Council Commissioner -- MarComm
Please also address any questions to the above email. This position call will be open until April 8, 2017.